Saturday 15 July 2017

New Radio

There's a new addition to the shack these days.  I bought a new FT-817 and Z-817 tuner from Radioworld last week....and I'm having a blast with this rig.

This is the second 817 I have owned, and I should never have sold the first one....but I did.   Anyway, it was time to get back into the QRP field, even though the solar cycle is on the downward slide to zero sunspots.

Today was the first time I've had the rig on HF.  It didn't take me long to make some good contacts.  First up was PY5QW in South Brazil (8,222 km), and IZ1UKF in Genoa, Italy (7.002 km).  Both contacts done with 5w into my 148' inverted L longwire antenna.  Feeling pretty pleased with those.

Propagation numbers today as of 1632 UTC were: SFI=91, SN=58, A Index=4, and the K Index=1.

Looking forward to next weekend when my club is doing an island activation, we'll see what I can do with it then.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bill, the FT817 is a very compact transceiver. I do own one since 2008 and still happy with it. I will never sell this little wonder. 73 Paul PC4T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, it is amazing how small it is and how well it performs. Thanks for dropping by!!
      73,
      Bill VE3FI

      Delete
  2. Good afternoon Bill, congrats on the new radio and tuner! It's to bad they have not come up with a tuner that fits into the FT817. It's a rock solid rig that has been around for a long time good luck with it.
    73,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. I concur, an internal tuner with this rig would be fantastic....but I'm having a blast with it anyway :-)
      73,
      Bill

      Delete